You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Monday, March 22, 2010

What I do know. Sort of.

Today they passed the health care bill.

Some are thrilled. Some are pissed. Some don't know what to think.

I don't know what to think. I know it's not ideal, but also that we have to start somewhere. Even if that somewhere looks like Shitsville.

But here's what I do know.

I have insurance. Pretty good insurance. Better than most people's insurance. And here's an example of how that insurance works/doesn't work.

When we brought Sena in for her two month check-up, the pediatrician detected a heart murmur, a common thing called a "flow murmur". She said not to worry. Of course, I was worried.

She referred us to have a pediatric echocardiogram done, just to make sure there was no defect in her heart. So we went to the U of M hospital and had it done the following week. It took about 10 minutes and Sena was a model patient, smiling at the technician as she moved the ultrasound tool over her tiny body.

The test showed her heart was absolutely fine.

I received the statement a few weeks later from the insurance biller. You know the statements that say "This is not a bill"? Well, the hospital billed the insurance provider $1400 for that 10 minute echocardiogram.

And the insurance said they would pay $386.

We weren't responsible for any of it. Because of our insurance.

Now if I didn't have insurance, can you guess what we would be expected to pay?

Yes, that's right. $1400.

Can you imagine what they would say if I said, "Hmmmm. I think it's only worth $386 bucks. How about I pay that instead."

They would laugh in my face.

But somehow it's okay for the insurance company to do.

So what is wrong with this picture? Way to much.

It will be interesting to see what happens now.

No comments: