You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Monday, June 9, 2008

Last weekend I went to my parent's home in good old Onalaska, Wisconsin, to visit and also attend a baby shower(Twins!)for a good friend. In hindsight I realize I should have gotten her some Minnesota Twins baby onesies, but as they are Wisconsin residents, I am not quite sure that they wouldn't be insulted. We got Pack n' Plays instead.

I kind of miss the old "Playpen" name because, when it comes down to it, isn't that what they are? Back in the olden days the kids could sit in them and whack their tin cups against the bars, biding their time and dreaming of freedom, just like they do in prison.

But I suppose Playpen isn't a very PC word anymore.

The other thing I love about visiting Wisconsin. Cheap booze. Oh yeah. None of this, the "liquor store is closed on Sundays" nonsense that they have here in Minnesota. Wisconsinites would riot in the streets if they couldn't have a beer run after church. It's also dirt cheap. I still get annoyed that I can't pick up a bottle of wine in the grocery store while I'm shopping. Puritans! Philistines! It makes no sense to me.

Other weekend developments: My two-year old nephew Jack, knocked out his front tooth. He fell on his face, something toddlers have a tendency to do. They had to extract the whole thing, much to my sister-in-law's horror. She's afraid that people will think he is "trailer park". HER WORDS, NOT MINE. But I can see her point. I suggested she let him run barefoot with only a diaper and a stained Hanes V-neck and he'll be all set for an episode of COPS. She wants to get him a t-shirt that says, "I'm clean and well-taken care of", lest strangers judge her to be a bad mother.

I think I should get him an eye-patch, bandana, and a gold hoop earring and then teach him to say, "Aarrgh! I'm a pirate! Surrender your booty!"

No comments: