You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Spin City

Tonight I go back to spin class; I realized I have only a month before the triathlon and have not yet been on my bicycle. My bicycle is in my basement in the same place I parked it last fall. Last year's race number is still on it, and it has a flat tire.

Needless to say, I need to get going. Therefore, spin class.

Most people that try spin class are at first fearful. For good reason. The first time I tried it I almost puked over my handle bars, before realizing that despite the fact it is a group class, you need to go at your own pace. You don't necessarily have to keep up with Lance Armstrong- the person on the bike next to you who is spinning their feet at a cadence generating enough energy to compete with a nuclear power plant. Or cause flammables to combust.

I don't always want to go to spin, sometimes I don't even want to do it while I'm five minutes in, sweating and cursing to myself. But I always like the way I feel when I'm done. Like a Buddha. Like the world could be burning down and I would just smile and put some marshmallows on a stick. That's pretty unflappable. Forget meditation and enlightenment. Go to spin class instead.

No comments: