You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

So this happened

A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from my editor.  They had come up with a cover they were very excited about.

As a recap, my story is about a group of teenagers that get lost in the Boundary Waters wilderness and try to survive after a freak storm and deadly accident.


I clicked the attachment and saw this:




Because it was on my phone, and I was looking at it in the sunlight, I became confused.

"What is that thing in the front?"

Matt:  "Huh?"

"It looks like a suit of armor."

Matt:  "Are there wizards and warlocks in this book?"

I squinted.  "No.  Hmmm.  Is that a flak-jacket?  What the heck is that?"

Matt:  "Let me look."

I hand him the phone.

Matt:  "It's a hiking boot."

"It is?"  I look again.  "Huh, you're right."

Matt:  "A hiking boot makes sense.  A suit of armor doesn't."

"Yeah."

Matt:  "I like it."


So what do you think?  I like that the cover gives you a very clear idea of what this book is about.

(Not about wizards dueling in the jungles of Vietnam.)  Although that would be a kickass story anyway.


3 comments:

Leandra Wallace said...

I could tell it was a boot right away, the...what's the word I'm looking for...rivets? Grommets? Heck, I don't know- the silver lace-tie things were what clued me in. I really like it! Love how the kids in the background are headed away, and helping each other. Congrats!!

Tez Miller said...

Ooh, didn't know about the title change - I'll amend my files.

And yes, you should totally write about wizards dueling in the jungles of Vietnam :-)

Mindy said...

Thanks, Leandra and Tez! Needless to say, I'm very excited.