You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

37

Random Birthday memories:

For my first birthday I got a large Raggedy Ann doll.  Still have it.  Still totally awesome.

For my second birthday I got a yellow Tonka dump truck.  Pretty awesome but have no idea what happened to it.

For my eighth birthday I got a Cabbage Patch doll.  But it was a fake doll.  It turns out all the Cabbage Patch dolls sold out (there was a run on dolls) and my mom paid a lady A LOT of money to make me a doll.  It had a Cabbage Patch head but when my mom gave the doll to me I turned it over and inspected its butt.  A Forgery!  It was HOMEMADE!, which to an eight year-old is the same as getting homemade macaroni and cheese when you're expecting the neon-orange goodness of Kraft.  NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I had a spazz and said I didn't like it and made my mom cry.  Because at 8 years old I was something of a wretched turd of a kid.

I still have my Cabbage Patch doll.  Her name is Rebecca.  I got over the forgery.  Rebecca is awesome.

For my ninth birthday I got a red Schwinn 10-speed.  Totally awesome.  I don't have it anymore, but it was a pretty sweet bike.  I flew over the handle bars only once.  Because once was enough.

For my twelfth birthday I got a book on horses.  Totally awesome.  I still have it.

For some reason the rest of the birthdays are a blur.  For my nineteenth birthday I got a pair of Merrel hiking boots.  Still have them.  Still wear them.  Still totally awesome.  I've only had to replace the shoelaces.

I'm pretty sure I got a hangover for my twenty-first birthday.  Don't really remember.

And it all goes down hill from there.

Which is fine.

As they say, "It's better to be over the hill than buried under it."

I'm just happy to be here.

My birthday this year will be celebrated with my husband, daughter, and two spoiled cats.  We will eat shrimp cocktail and Chinese take-out.  There will be cake.  Maybe some dancing.

And it will be totally awesome.

1 comment:

Susan2115 said...

Absolutely cool post...you have a great memory.
I certainly can't remember that many of my birthday gifts over the years; only a few.