You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

When the student is ready the teacher will appear

Last Wednesday everything changed.  As many of you who read this blog know, I have spent the past few years writing a novel with the hopes of finding a literary agent to represent me.

In the past year, I've sent out many, many query letters.

And received many, many rejections.  Some helpful, some not so much.

So I went back and revised.  And revised.  And rewrote.

Then rewrote some more.

I kept trying.

I kept getting rejected.

I got drunk and cried.

I got drunk and cursed the universe and felt sorry for myself.

Then I rewrote it again.

A few weeks ago I finished the last rewrite.  I typed the last line.  I sat there and looked at it.  I smiled.  I thought, "This is good.  This has potential.  It feels right."

Then I panicked and thought, "If no one likes this, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do."

Then I started sending out queries again.

On Monday I got a request to send 50 pages.  I did.

On Wednesday I got a request to send the full.  I did.

Wednesday afternoon I got an email with a request for a phone conversation for Friday.  I almost puked on my keyboard.

I couldn't sleep those nights.

On Friday I took the call and was offered representation, and was given a week to get back to other agents who requested my full.

So by this Friday I will have an announcement, an announcement that I have been waiting years to make.

This student is ready for the next chapter.

No comments: