You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

10 months

Dear Baby Sena,

So now you are 10 months old, quickly on your way to 11, and I can see how fast you are learning. First it was crawling and now all of a sudden you are pulling yourself up using anything you can get your hands on. A few days ago I heard you babbling in your room and when I went in, there you were, standing up in your crib and grinning at me like a monkey.



Other things you like to do:

Bounce in your jumperoo
Drink your bathwater
Play peekaboo
Eat week-old Cheerios you find on the floor (Mommy needs to vacuum more)
Put expensive electronic devices in your mouth
Smash food in your hair and/or throw it on the floor
Play your new xylophone by turning it upside down and whacking it
Give Bee an ulcer by crawling up behind her, grabbing her tail and screaming like a mentally ill baboon

And some more things that happened last month....

One day before you turned 10 months old, I took you to the hospital.
For a few days you had had a fever, but it didn't go away. Then you wouldn't eat and you cried and cried and looked so pitiful. You couldn't sleep. And we couldn't sleep. The only way you would sleep is if we held you. For the first time in your life you let me snuggle you, which I liked. But I hated that you were sick and I didn't know what to do.

This is you with daddy.



I took you to the ER. They took your temperature. It was 104.7, and I got so scared I started to cry. You had a blood test and a catheter and a chest X-ray. You did so good in the hospital and it turns out you had a virus and the next day you started to get better. I was so relieved and grateful. Relieved you were okay. Grateful I had one of the best hospitals in the state only a mile from my house to take you to. And that I didn't worry how to pay for it. Most people are not so lucky.

Then we went to the doctor for a checkup. You are more than 20 lbs. now, and your head is still ginormous (92%) so me and daddy hope there is a big brain in there too.

This past weekend your cousin Lilah came to visit from Texas and we all went to the apple orchard. It turns out you like apples, and you had fun going on a hayride. Your first one. And mine too!









It's hard to believe that in a few weeks I will be sending out invitations to your first birthday. The past 10 months have gone by fast, even though some of the days have been long. Sometimes very long!

I heard someone say not too long ago about how the world is going to shit and how they wouldn't want to bring children into the world. Not this world. Not now. And in some ways it make sense and I understand. I have thought that myself on more than one occassion.

But then, invariably, I have another thought.

What other world is there?

This is what we have right now, for better and for worse. And I know with you here it is better.






I love you, Baby Sena.

Love,
Mommy


1 comment:

Susan2115 said...

Sena is a lucky little girl to have such a loving
Mommy