You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Monday, August 16, 2010

12 for 12

Yesterday, Sunday August 15th, was our 12th anniversary. It went kinda like this:

Wake up at 6:15, hearing the Smooshy babbling in her crib. We call her Smooshy because she's, well, she's smooshy.

Realize it is no longer 100 degrees out. Thank Jesus and Buddha. Open all the windows and let that icy fresh Manitoba air clean out the funk.

Give the Smooshy her bottle. After two gulps she throws it down on the floor. Screams at the cat, who is lying on the rug. She wants that cat. Ever since she figured out this crawling thing she's been on a mission. Mission Impossible: grab that fuzzy cat and squeeze it.

Put Sena on the floor and watch her crawl over to the cat, who promptly jumps up, whines, and trots out of the room.

Notice a peculiar odor.

Change Sena's poop loaded diaper.

Eventually she finishes the bottle. Decide to be nice and let Matt sleep in.
Me and Sena go outside and play.

Around 10 am I walk upstairs and yell at Matt, "Are you getting up, today?"

Matt grunts, "Happy Anniversary."

I say, in my best Cameron(from Ferris Bueller's day off) voice, "Haaaaapeeee Annaversireeee...."

We both start laughing like dorks.


That afternoon we drop the Smooshy at Grandma and Grandpas and go downtown.

We sit outside at Kieran's and have a drink and listen to the roar coming from the Twins stadium as someone hits a homer.

We go and see Eclipse at the movie theater. There are 2 other people in the theater and we pretend we are having our own private screening.

Laugh and make gagging noises every time Jacob, Edward, or Bella says something ridiculous and cheesy, which is about every 5 minutes.

Decide we both like the movie. As we walk out of the theater I say, "Jacob annoys me. Teenagers don't talk like that!" In my best moony voice say, "Bella, I know you want me, too! I can feeeeeeeeeel it!"

We laugh like dorks. Again.

We go out to eat at an over-priced fancy Italian restaurant. I order an overpriced bottle of Barbera. It is good. So is the meal. We both decide that every anniversary we will go out to dinner because we both suddenly realize that we no longer can go out whenever we feel like it. Or do whatever the hell we want whenever we want to.

Not that we ever did, anyway.

I think about this and decide I'm okay with it. I also decide I'm pretty lucky to have been married to someone who gets my jokes. Or at least does a good job pretending he does.

"What happened these past 12 years?"
"I don't know. It went by fast."
"Well, the first couple didn't."
"Huh?"
"You know what I mean. They were long years. Looooooong."
"But not anymore?"
"Nope."
"Is that good?"
"I don't know. I'm old."
"God, we ARE old."

We laugh like dorks. Again.

No comments: