You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Friday, December 5, 2008

Twilight - official review by an official dork

So last Saturday we decided to go see Twilight; we don't go to movies that often anymore because of Netflix and when we do, we only go to matinees. Matinees are still only $5. I say only because when I was a teenager, $5 was the price for the night shows. Times have changed.

We call and ask Matt's sister if our nephew would like to go. Will is fourteen. A boy. A fourteen year-old boy. I look at Matt as if he's insane, assuming that no fourteen year-old boy would be caught dead going to that movie. Even though it has vampires in it.

Will, surprisingly, says okay. He possibly thinks that seeing a gross romance chick movie is better than seeing no movie at all. I also realize that my husband is excited to go see the movie, as well. So much for my theories about guys. I know nothing.

We are running late when we pick up Will. He is dawdling; perhaps rethinking the whole scenario. "Hurry, Boy!" I yell from the car window. He shuffles slowly to our car.

Because we are running late, Matt of course goes in the wrong entrance to Southdale Mall. He drops us off at Macys and tries to find a parking spot. Because I'm a dork and have anxiety attacks about being late for ANYTHING, let alone something I'm excited about, I run down the escalator, pushing past people as unobnoxiously as I can. I run past the Caribou coffee stand and look back. Will is calmly riding down the escalator. I look at him like, "Are you KIDDING me?" He tries to pretend he isn't with me because I'm so embarrassing. He shoves his hands in his pockets and looks away. TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL.

I start race walking through the mall, and Will tries to keep up without looking like he's keeping up. Thankfully there is no line at the ticket counter. I get three tickets and hand 2 to Will. It's 2:28. The movie starts at 2:30. I'm not waiting for my husband. "Here, give this to Matt."

A guy who looks like Methuselah takes my ticket. "Escalator to your right."
I'm like, "Huh? There's an escalator?" I didn't realize how many different theaters are in here, and ours is in the most out of the way place. I must look totally flabbergasted and he looks at me pityingly. I'm frantic because, like I said before, I HATE BEING LATE!

Well, we manage to get there just as everything gets dark. I find a decent seat and my pulse slowly returns to normal. We watch various previews for horrible teen movies. Me and Matt start laughing so hard that he starts coughing. Will is sitting on the far end, probably wishing that someone would kill him and put him out of his misery.

Finally, the movie starts....Dun-dun-daaaaaah!

Okay, the review. Well, I liked it. I liked the cast, I liked the build up, I liked the romance stuff. I liked the action.

What I didn't like. Some of the vampire makeup looked bad. Too obvious. Some of the special effects were bad. Too silly and distracting. But I thought the movie worked well, especially since in the book it was slow moving for a long time in terms of foreboding action. The heart of the story was the romance and I thought they did a very good job with it. I thought the actors were wonderfully cast.

When it was over we walked out. Matt goes, "I LIKED it!"
"Me too!"

Will was shuffling behind us.
"Well, whaddya think?" Matt asked him.
"It was okay," he begrudgingly admitted.

So there you have it. Here's the official trailer if you're interested.



And to add to my ever growing list of things I love about Britain is a dreamy Robert Pattinson. He's just 22. Does that officially make me a cougar?






Ummm...don't answer that.

No comments: