You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Make a pancake....

I think it's interesting that Matt thinks (but won't admit) that it's my job to make dinner. We both work full-time, but somehow I'm supposed to race home after work, slap on an apron and oven mitts and get a'crackin' in the kitchen. Yes, I'm usually home before him, but I find on the days he's off from work, when I stroll in the back door there's no hot dinner waiting for me. WTF?

Sometimes he even calls me at work during the day to ask, "So...what's for dinner tonight?" Or if he's being subtle he'll talk about what kind of food he likes. He'll say, "You know? For some reason I've been thinking about tacos all day. It's Tuesday, you know. Like, Taco Tuesday. Mmmmm..."

Then: So, what's for dinner, woman?

Me: How bout a nice poop sandwich.

So last night he comes home and says, "God, I'm starving! Starving! I think I'm dying!"

Me: Do you want tacos or eggs and pancakes?
Matt: Eggs and pancakes? Pancakes? PANCAKES?

He asks me this as if it's so ridiculous he can't even fathom such a thing. Like it might not be legal. As if I suggested that we go outside and run through the sprinkler. Naked.

Me: Yeah, pancakes.
Matt: Yeah! Pancakes!

So I get out the old Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook that was published in 1955. My mom gave me this cookbook and I have to say, it is the main one I use. Because it tells you how to make everything. EVERYTHING. This was back in the day when people actually cooked from scratch. It explains things like poaching, braising, and making a white sauce, or a pie crust from scratch. It tells you how many pints are in a quart. I love this book.

So I make the basic pancake recipe but double it. Matt is starving, you see. I make humongous, fluffy pancakes as big as a dinner plate and about 1/2" thick. I put blueberries in mine. I use real butter and real maple syrup. They are so awesome that as I eat them I curse myself for not making pancakes and eggs for dinner at least once a week.

I even named the pug in my book Pancake.

And now there's a song to go with it. I saw this on Dooce.com, and it will now be the song we sing in the Braun house when it's time to make pancakes. This reminded me of the early works of DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

No comments: