You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'll buy that for a dollar

A university student was in court yesterday here in Minneapolis. His offense? Selling his vote on eBay. It is against the law (in Minnesota, anyway, but apparently not when you're in D.C.) and punishable by a $5,000 fine and jail time. He said it was a joke: his opening bid was $10 and didn't go any higher. I guess most people realize that after the 2000 election a person's vote isn't even worth THAT much.

He got 50 hours of community service and threatened with jail time.

For trying to sell his vote.

This got me thinking. A man was able to sell his soul to a pizza parlor called Hell's Pizza, but somehow this vote-selling crosses the line.

I believe the law in Minnesota was made in 1893, because so many people would sell their votes for booze.

Then I wondered...if you can't sell your vote, can you GIVE it away? Can you TRADE? Can you BARTER? Isn't this what goes on in Washington? Give me this and I'll give you that?

Me thinks so.

So then I wondered what value my vote had. What would I trade it for?

I decided to return to the original purpose of the law. Booze.

If anyone has a case of Schlitz sitting around and collecting dust, let me know.

No comments: