You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I don't do plumbing or electrical

Well now that the lights and fan are up I guess it's time to tackle the hole in the wood floor. I'm wondering what the quotes are going to be. I'm getting to the point where I'm sick of tackling projects myself (or asking my Dad to do them) and feel it's a better use of my time to hire a professional and just get it done.

The problem with home improvements is that they snowball. If I have someone fix the wood floor then I'll want them to resurface the wood floor in the bedroom, add wood in the kitchen and hallway, but then I want to widen the doorway to the kitchen (shouldn't I do that before I have new floors put in?) Should I bother with the kitchen if I plan on remodeling it completely at a later date? You can see where this is going... when do you stop trying to make small fixes before you say, "Shoot! Let's gut the whole thing and start from scratch."

And then you wonder if it's worth it and how long you're going to live in your "starter" house.

Probably till we die.

Whenever I think of attempting another home improvement and exactly why I'm afraid to do plumbing and electrical work, I remember this.

No comments: