You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sketch Artist

Well, I found some more drawings.

These are from my college days. I didn't major in art in college, but I did take a painting class a couple of years after I graduated. One of our assignments was to keep a sketch diary. Yeah, I know. I just thought we'd be painting stuff.

And I learned some things. A lot of people assume that people who paint or draw well just have the talent for it. Well, it certainly doesn't hurt. But it's more than that. It's a lot of practice. In that way, it is like everything else. It is like writing or playing the piano. If you are naturally gifted at it, you're probably going to like it. Because it's easier for you. So you spend more time doing it, ergo: you become better at it.

But no matter how good you are at something, you won't be great unless you practice. And practice.

So my teacher told us if we wanted to be a good painter we should draw more. And look at stuff. Really look at it. Don't just think you know what a tree looks like. Really look at it. Hence, the sketch pad.

So because I had no idea what to draw-- didn't think it should be page after page of horses/unicorns I just started drawing random crap.

Here is what I drew. Psychoanalyze this:

My hand



Weird zombie baby head


my kitty bee


girl in hat


girl reading


Sketch of bad fruit


If this looks familiar to the top drawing of my blog it's because it is. I wrote this story called Bad Fruit, which I thought was pretty funny, and then I had all these illustrations. The top drawing is a sample piece done in oil crayon on bristol board. I tried sending it out to agents and whatnot, but I guess nobody likes the idea of putrid peaches skinny dipping in the split pea soup.

I am so misunderstood.

No comments: