You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Monday, June 29, 2009

Michael Jackson and Deep Thoughts

Conversation with Matt in the car after grocery shopping at Target.

INT - CAR: Thursday afternoon Michael Jackson's music is playing on every radio station after news of his death.

Mindy: I was totally shocked when I heard that.

Matt: Yeah, I know.

Mindy: Although, I guess I shouldn't be. That dude had some serious problems.

Matt: Mmmm-hmmm.

Mindy: I still remember exactly where I was when I saw that Thriller video for the first time. I was like, Holy Shit!

Matt: Yeah.

Mindy: Hey, what would you do if you knew you were going to die at 50?

Matt: Um, I don't know.

Mindy: Would you do anything different?

Matt: Oh yeah, of course.

Mindy: What?

Matt spends a minute thinking: I don't know.

Mindy: But you would do something different?

Matt: Yeah.

Mindy: What if you knew you were going to die in 5 years? Then what would you do?

Matt: I would take out a huge life insurance policy.

Mindy: That's a good idea.

Matt: Especially if you knew five years in advance.

Mindy: Then what?

Matt: I'd quit my job and run up a bunch of debt.

Mindy (laughing): Really?

Matt: Oh yeah. I wouldn't care.

Mindy: Wouldn't I have to pay for it? When you're dead?

Matt: Ah, but that's what the insurance policy is for.

Mindy: It better be a big one then.

Matt: Oh yeah, the biggest one I could find.

Mindy: Well, you could do that now. If you wanted to. Nobody's stopping you.

Matt: Hmmmm...

Mindy: We should just sell all our shit and travel.

Matt: Yeah. Wander around. I always wanted to do that. Just like the dude on Kung-Fu.

Mindy: Yeah. Oh man, David Carradine just died too. I guess he was a kinky perv.

Matt: Yeah, that sucks.

Mindy: Being a perv?

Matt: No, that would be embarrassing to die like that.

Mindy: Of course, if you were dead, you wouldn't care what anyone thought.

Matt: Probably.

Mindy: I guess money really can't buy happiness.

Matt: But if I had a lot of money I could quit working. And that would make me happy.

Mindy: How much would we need to quit working?

Matt: For how long?

Mindy: Forever... Five million?

Matt: Oh yeah. Definitely. You could live off the interest.

Mindy: As long as you didn't go crazy. You could easily go through it if you were stupid.

Matt: Yeah. You can't be stupid.

Mindy: I think I can do it.

Matt: What? Make 5 million or not be stupid.

Mindy: The first part.

END SCENE.

No comments: