You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Be Mine

A few nights ago I couldn't find Matt.

He usually goes outside to smoke, or in the garage. I know, I know, it's a repulsive habit. I've realize I cannot change someone else's behavior or motivation. BECAUSE BELIEVE ME, I'VE TRIED! It's an exercise in futility. The older I get the more I realize the only thing I really can control is myself, my reactions, my thoughts, my behavior.

Yes, that is very Oprah of me. However, it saves a lot of grief and stress once I decided, "Hey, I'm not going to let this junk take up any space in my brain." Really, there isn't enough room, what with all the space I need for my word-a-day vocabularly, my spring garden plans, trying to remember the words to the Pina Colada song, what kind of swim suit I want to buy for my vacation, and what exactly is going to happen with Sayid, Hurley, Ben, and Sawyer and the rest of the Lost cast.

DON'T TELL ME. I'm still catching up on season four on my Netflix. I'm watching the season finale tonight and I'm sure I will just remain as confused as ever. I just hope I don't throw the popcorn bowl at the TV.

So Matt disappeared and I looked outside and didn't see him. So instead of actually walking outside like a normal person, I dialed his phone.

"Hello?"
"Where ARE you?"
I hear voices in the background. Little people voices.
"I'm next door."
"Oh yeah? What are you doing?"
"We're making valentines."

Matt had gone over to our next-door neighbor's house to ask them (Lily and Gabby) if they wanted to take care of the Bug and Bee when we go on vacation. So Deedee invites Matt in and puts him to work straight away, making homemade valentines for Lily's class.

"You're making valentines?"
"Yeah."
"Like with doilies and construction paper?" I can totally see Matt doing this.
"Yeah, it's for school."
"We always just bought those little cards. But we did always bring in a shoebox to decorate."
"Yeah, we did that too."
"Guess who always had the best decorated shoebox?" This is a rhetorical question.
"You did."
"You got that right."
"We had to make sure to give everyone a valentine."
"Yeah, even the icky boy who ate his boogers and smelled like cheese."

So the next night I'm poking around and find the Valentine Matt made for me. It's a big red heart with a black ribbon that makes the valentine into a necklace. In the middle of the heart is a picture of a weiner dog wearing a blonde wig with curlers in it; I have no idea where he found the picture, out of some magazine or something.

It says: Be Mine, Moo.
From Matt, Bug, and Bee

I don't know about you, but a weiner dog wearing a wig with curlers is just about the best kind of valentine a girl can get.

THAT IS TRUE LOVE, YA'LL!

No comments: