You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Friday, November 21, 2008

An oldie but goodie

As long as I'm on the topic of music I will have to post one of my ALL-TIME favorite songs, which is A Murder of One by the Counting Crows. Yes, yes, I know I have a lot of favorites. It is one of the few songs where I can remember where I was the first time I heard it, and stood stock-still as if a lightning bolt had hit me. This Song! This Song! Even now, many years later, it has the same effect on me.

I guess I'm one of those people who is deeply affected by music. I make a point of memorizing lyrics to songs I like, which are many. I don't know why this is; perhaps because the whole process of writing and playing music seems to be on the same level (to me) as understanding quantum physics. I'm awed by the process and the kind of magic it can produce. Some people can happily listen to talk radio all the live-long day, but I must have my music. My own personal hell would be a dental waiting room with the radio tuned to Rush Limbaugh. All day. Just Kill Me Now!

So anyway, here's the song. I couldn't find an official video of it, though this has little snapshots of the band. I love how they just look like dudes who might show up at your house one day to fix the leaky toilet. I'm pretty sure the guy on the end in the last picture does some pipefitting on the side. Possibly electrical.

No comments: