You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Hammer Time!

Here is a great video on the evolution of dance.



I distinctly remember rushing home after school so that I could watch MTV. This was back when they actually played videos and I would watch Adam Curry and Downtown Julie Brown (who I thought had the coolest jobs in the WORLD!) and patiently wait for my favorite videos to come on so I could practice my moves.

Because there was no youtube or Internet (Al Gore was still working on it), you had to wait until the actual video came on. There was no slo-mo or replay so you tried to learn the dance within that 3-minute clip. Besides the Michael Jackson videos, I tried to do Madonna's vogueing and almost punched myself in my face.

Then MC Hammer came out. Oh boy! He had some awesome moves and those ridiculous genie pants and every time that video came on I would jump up and practice, thinking, "I've almost got it...almost...." I don't exactly know what I thought would happen if I perfected the dance, that MC Hammer would call my house and ask me to be in one of his videos?

It's the same feeling I get when I receive a Restoration Hardware catalog in the mail and thumb through it with yearning eyes, somehow believing that if I could achieve that level of domestic perfection that every piece of my life will fall into place. I WILL ATTAIN NIRVANA IF ONLY MY TABLE SETTINGS HAVE EGYPTIAN COTTON NAPKINS AND MY DOOR IS ADORNED WITH THE POMEGRANATE AND BAY LEAF WREATH.

Why do you insist on taunting me, Restoration Hardware?

No comments: