You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Da-da-DA-daaaah! Da-da-daaaaah....

Yes, that was the intro to Indiana Jones. We took our 13 year-old nephew, Will, out to the movies last Friday. I CANNOT believe we had to wait 19 years for this, which was approximately the last time I remember being in a movie theater. Really, since Netflix I think the last movie I saw in the movie theater was Million Dollar Baby. I can't remember.

But then we showed up at the theater and I remembered why. First off, tickets are now 10 bucks a pop. While Matt parked the car I wandered dazedly to the concession stand. I couldn't figure out what to get, what was the best deal, a combo pack? I realized this was asinine; there is NO good deal. A stale pretzel is $4.75. The cheese (the only thing that makes the pretzel edible) is an extra $1.75. I was standing there with my mouth hanging open while teenagers screamed and yelled and strolled the lobby in packs that reminded me of an episode on Animal Planet. I was wishing with all my might that they served hard liquor, or at least some beer. I should have smuggled a few cans in. I remember my mother would pack baggies of treats and homemade popcorn and cans of soda in her purse; I don't think I actually bought concession stand food until I was in my twenties. And I still feel guilty when I do it. Like she will somehow know. She would always say, "Only MORONS would pay those prices."

Hi, I'm a moron.

I finally turned to Will to ask what he wanted. I looked down, "Hey, whaddya..." Then I had to look up. He was as tall as me, and by next year he will probably be taller. I had to do a double take, I forget he isn't a three year-old anymore.

We enjoyed the movie; I won't spoil anything for people who haven't seen it, but I will say the first 15 minutes rock! After the show Matt said, "Hmmm...I don't know if that was as good as Temple of Doom."

"What? Are you kidding? Temple of Doom was the worst one."

I then realize that saying the Temple of Doom is the worst Indiana Jones movie is like saying that milk chocolate is the worst kind of chocolate. It's still chocolate, and therefore AWESOME.

We also saw the preview for the new Will Smith movie, Hancock. Matt got so excited he grabbed my leg and almost choked on his $5 popcorn. "We are SO there!"

No comments: