You can know anything. It's all there. You just have to find it.

-Neil Gaiman

Pages

Friday, May 16, 2008

Blindness

A few weekends ago my parents came to visit and we started talking about books and movies. I don't remember exactly what we were talking about, but I mentioned a book I had read that pretty much shook me up. It was Blindness, by Jose Samarago. He won the Nobel Prize in Literature. I had never read a book before that made me scared. I was scared to go to sleep. I thought I might wake up blind. I understand it is a metaphor but the novel is so convincing; I was trying to explain the plot of the book to my parents...this idea how everyone starts going blind and what happens to society, but I wasn't doing a very good job. But it turns out that someone made a film that just debuted at Cannes. It looks pretty good, but I highly recommend picking up a copy of the novel and scaring yourself stupid like I did.

No comments: